This is an Important Statement for you to Read and Share

Jim and Brad playing some ball at his new home.

Jim and Brad playing some ball at his new home.

I have wanted to write this piece for a while but I haven’t wanted to offend anyone or hurt anyone or cause hard feelings. So, I write this with the understanding I am not trying to call anyone out for offering us suggestions or trying to help our family. Just the opposite. I am writing this particular piece in the hopes of EVERYONE reading it and understanding the gap and the disparity of assistance for many, many families in need of help. If you care at all about our society as a whole, you will read what I am about to write.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has sent in suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time and making the effort and in some cases, doing quite a bit of research. Now, let me speak freely without the worry of being taken the wrong way.

Stop. Stop telling me that I just need to make one more phone call or fill out one more form.

I have. I have filled out every form known to man. I have made call after call after call. Many times while Jim sat helplessly, just feet away, listening to me repeat our story, his story. His burdens on our family and feeling the guilt he so wanted to avoid are now seared into my mind as something I threw in his face over and over while trying to find the answer that has alluded us and continues to do so.  I have gone online and researched. I have spent hours and hours and hours (you really wouldn’t believe) just trying to find an answer. I think I have worked harder and spent more time, energy and filled out more forms than I did in all of my years of college combined.  I have always believed in my heart that we would have help. I have always believed that when the time came, Jim would be taken care of and I know he thought the same. We both assumed  I would just keep working and it would all work itself out. We were wrong, wrong, wrong.

Jim is 53 years old and a 23 year veteran of the US Air Force.

Our children are 11 and 14.

We are middle class.

Jim had Tricare Health Insurance benefits when he retired from the Air Force, which also covers myself and our children.

After being out of work six months due to his Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease disability, Jim applied for and obtained SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) This is a program Jim paid into with every paycheck he received starting at the age of 14. It does not come close to replacing the income he was earning while working, but it most certainly keeps our family afloat.

After two years of SSDI, Jim was automatically switched from Tricare to Medicare. Medicare is a health insurance program. It is not a program that provides Long Term Care for people with Alzheimer’s Disease. It covers doctor visits and hospital stays, just like any other health insurance program.

I work out of our home as an independent contractor. I have also just started a part time job this week in the hopes of helping with Jim’s care.

I applied for Medicaid for Jim in July. You cannot apply until you need this program. So, even though we knew the day Jim was diagnosed many years ago we would eventually be applying it was only when he needed more help than I could provide that we could fill out the mound of paperwork, meet with Social Service workers and start the process. This is something I strongly believe needs to be addressed and changed. But, I will save that tirade for another day. We were turned down for Medicaid. Not because of our income, but because Jim does not qualify medically. He does not need “skilled nursing”. He does not need someone to monitor his blood pressure or blood sugar. I promise…I am not making this up.

We have gone to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Hampton, Virginia many times.  I was told each time there was nothing to help us. His disability is not service related and he is not 65 and he makes more that $26,000 a year. I went back and I called. I have been desperate trying to find help. I have sat and cried, feeling like a forsaken child of the country I have always loved and been proud to call mine. Nothing. No help to cover his care. We did qualify for the 30 day respite from the VA this summer which was a Godsend. For this, I am very grateful.

I couldn’t understand why others making suggestions of different programs he will or he should qualify for has bothered me so much. I know that each person who writes to tell me that the VA will help or Medicare will help or Medicaid covers their uncles care means well. I know when you write with your stories and your suggestions, you are trying to help. Unless you can actually make a program start covering Jim’s care, please do not tell me what I am doing wrong anymore. That is how I take it. I shouldn’t, but I do.

Recently I was talking to a good friend about this. I told her I understood people were trying to help because they care and they want to help our family but with each sentence saying there is help out there if I only would do this one thing, I was hurting more and more. I couldn’t figure out why. Why would it bother me when I know I had done everything and I know their intentions were good and genuine?

“Because it is a sore, raw subject for you Karen. You still feel like you have missed something and you also feel like there should be and is a program to help if you can only find it. Each message reminds you that the system is failing your family and it makes you feel like you are too.”

And there it is. I struggled to understand something that she layed out before me to make perfect sense.

I agree with all of you: There should be help. There shouldn’t be a need to have a charity page asking for donations from everyone under the sun to take care of Jim. It was a most difficult decision to do so, but I cannot take care of him the way he deserves. I cannot change his diaper and help him shower and help him all day long with finding something to occupy himself. I was failing him and our family. But this is not anything that qualifies for help. Needing assistance with eating or hygiene does not entitle you to receive help with your loved one. We don’t fit into a black and white box and therefore there are no possibilities of going outside the box to use common sense to help. Either you fit the criteria or you don’t. We don’t.

I have met with our State Senator, staff representing our US Senator, social services, Medicare and Medicaid representatives and VA representatives. Nothing yet. There is a slight hope we may receive some benefits from the VA, but my attorney (who completely rocks) and a local reporter and our US Senator haven’t been able to make it happen yet. But, you never know. I am still optimistic, but now with a much clearer sense of probability.

So please understand I have put more effort, energy, time and hope into finding this solution that must be out there somewhere than I have put into anything else in my life. It is like pouring salt on a wound when you tell me I haven’t done what I have been trying so very hard to do for months now.

I appreciate your belief in our system, as I have always had your same beliefs, but sometimes, we are all wrong. Please keep writing me and if you genuinely have something that you have found that can help our family, please share as I am hoping there really is assistance available. Otherwise, please start a conversation with your friends and neighbors. You may be surprised to find they have been through this same process. And if you are so inclined, please start advocating for a change. It will be too late for our family, but others coming behind us, which could be your family, need us to stand up and demand all of our citizens be cared for and treated with respect and dignity. No one should lose their homes, their life savings or their own health in a  land that prides itself on prosperity.

Jim, Frances and Brad. April 7, 2012. Jim's 50th birthday.

Jim, Frances and Brad. April 7, 2012. Jim’s 50th birthday.

posted by Karen in Early Signs of Alzheimer's,Early Stages of Alzheimer's Disease,Uncategorized,Younger Onset Alzheimer's Disease and have Comments (44)

44 Responses to “This is an Important Statement for you to Read and Share”

1. Shirley Sehar says:

AMEN!!!

2. Lisa says:

I’m sorry you have to deal with all this crap. there is something seriously wrong that he is not covered under the VA.

Well said Karen! I felt them same way when looking for assistance to help care for my mom, I kept beating myself up thinking that I must be missing something, just keep looking, how can there not be help. In the end you know you did everything in your power to find help. I wish you and your family continued strength and peace.

4. Karen says:

I feel your pain. Hang in there !

5. kerry daniels says:

I wish you knew my step mom Karen. You two could talk all day about what you just wrote. My dad passed away from Alzheimer’s. It wiped them out financially. And we didn’t know Hospice could have helped some, no one told us, we didn’t get Hospice until 24 hours before he died. I’m so sorry for the pain, and I bet she felt like you did too. She tried everything she could. And people just don’t believe that there is not help. He stayed at home until he died, but she did not work and had no young children. I sometimes wanted him in a nursing home because I was scared for them both, he fell and other scary things happened. It’s so unbelievable that this is the way things are. And people are under huge amounts of stress, and sleep deprived, and at the same time trying everything they can to get help for their spouse with Alzheimer’s. I’m so sorry for you. I knew that you were doing everything you could, I was amazed. You are really smart and I know you have done everything you can. People feel helpless and so they try to help, but until they have had the exact same thing happen to them, they just don’t know how very hard it is. Prayers.

6. Connie Howard says:

Karen, My Glenn passed away on September 12th at age 59. We have spoken and you know me. I have experienced all the frustration you are speaking about except Glenn was not in the military and that wasn’t even a resource I could consider. It seems it really isn’t much of one for you. My desire is to help others that will walk in our path. I would love to talk with you more about the Garner Foundation. I recognize the impact on the children of those with Alzheimer’s Disease as well and would like to see what can be done to help. Message me and I will give you my phone number.

7. Maria Cordero says:

Karen,

Praying for all of you.

8. Anne says:

Karen. My heart aches for you and am saddened there has not been help for you and others like you in a climate of so much give away for those who have not invested a penny in our country. I am on of your anonymous contributors. Now I will commit to sharing your story and pray your story will touch others to pay it forward. Sending you love.

9. Lorrie says:

You are correct. There isn’t much help out there.I made my final attempt at saving my parents life savings,yesterday. I went to the eldercare attorney.So,i’ll continue making the $7000.00 a month nursing home monthly payments,until the savings is gone. next they will take the house.Sorry state of affairs. Sending many hugs and prayers for your family.

10. linda says:

Continued prayers n hugz

11. Frannie says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have been following your blog and would like to say I think you’re a very AMAZING women, stronger than you give yourself credit for. No one should judge you, or tell you what to do. Never doubt yourself, never think that you haven’t done enough. It’ s the system that has failed your family!!!! The fact that the VA will not completely cover Jim is unacceptable. It should not matter that Jim’s illness is not service related, he served his country and that is what should matter. I’m deeply sorry for all you’ve been through.

12. dorothy says:

I am going through this now. It is awful. He is at home for now but I am not sure how much longer I can do this alone. No hope no help and no understanding is all I feel. However I do understand your feelings and all I can offer is I do this a day at a time and the knowledge that you are not alone. I am sorry for all of us that have to live with this disease.

13. Molly Rountree says:

I feel you!!!!

14. Diane says:

This limbo is awful…I know our family lived it with my dad although he did not have AD but broke his hip. He was in & out of hospital rehab and was headed towards a nursing home with no idea how to pay for his care & moms care who has AD. Dad took a turn for the worst and peacefully passed away in hospice. Now mom is our number one concern. Dads insurance will not last forever for her and we have exhausted searches on how to pay for her care. Thankful we have such a great place for her who helps us cut cost…we moved mom from a private to semi private which saved us 1k per month. No long term care for this awful disease why.??? It is a disease and you need care it just dies not fit into the insurances little neat package. That is what we have to change…cover care forvAD. Hugs & prayers for your family, more & more people are going to be in the same boat we are in now with this awful disease,

15. Frances Gardner says:

My brother-n-law has been paralyzed from his shoulders down due to a non-service related accident since 1988. Your story is very similar to my family’s story where help is concerned. Hugs and prayers
    continue for you.

16. Elaine says:

I am horrified and outraged that your husband was not approved for Medicaid. The very fact that he is receiving SSDI for EOAD should be reason enough. I sincerely hope that something can be done to reverse that decision. My husband is receiving Medicaid here in Illinois and he doesn’t need regular blood pressure or blood sugar checks. He is currently receiving homemaker/companion services through a Community Care Program which allows me to get out and do food shopping, doctor visits for myself and just a little time off. I sincerely hope that the Medicaid application can be revisited. Your husband and your entire family deserve nothing less. I’ll be praying for all of you — you are one smart and devoted cookie and I pray you will triumph soon!

17. Sally says:

I have ran into the same problems as you. Dan has been a care home for 3 1/2 yrs.and finances are starting to be worry some. You are a very strong person God is with you..

18. Martina says:

Thank you for such an honest testimony Karen. I have been following your families story for a long time. It was what made me decide to get involved with the fight against Alzheimer’s. I will be walking again this year and I hope to see you and your family. You have been an inspiration for the cause and I am praying for a cure. I lift you and your family up in prayer as you walk thru this most difficult season. We have never met but I want you to know I think of you often.

19. Shelli says:

God bless you and your family. I pray you get the help you so desperately need!

20. Barbara says:

Karen, Your blog is a well written, factual, and well documented account of the horrendous lack of services available for those afflicted with Early Onset Alzheimer’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and any other degenerative disease known to mankind. I so appreciate that you tell it like it is. My hope is that one day, due to blog’s like yours and continued advocacy by individuals like yourself, that help will be available and families will not have to be improvished or resort to GoFundMe sites to get that care they deserve for a loved one. Take care of yourself and your children. Continue to stay strong. Sending you hugs, courage, and the ability to continue blogging.

21. Donna Cole says:

God Bless you and your precious family. I feel your pain and I know without a doubt how much you love your Jim. My husband is now in a state hospital. We didn’t get medicade either. I feel your pain.

22. Chris says:

Hang in there, Karen. I’m right there with you in this battle. We are the double stuffed sandwich generation. I have an 88 year old mother who is ill. I have a husband with FTD/early onset Alzheimer’s and a 16 year old son with Autism. There are days when it’s like Whack a Mole. I get one settled and another pops up. All I can say is: take it one day at a time-sometimes, moment by moment; do as much as you can; take care of yourself; take care of your children; do the best you can for Jim-it will be enough, but never seen like enough and remember to BREATHE. We are strong women. We are smart. We are resourceful. There is no perfect solution to this. We are doing the best we can with what we have. Prayers to you and your family!

23. Mary gold says:

If you or your parents have a home put it into a *trust*
    this will shield it from being a source of income to pay for nursing home care. This has to be done before nursing home care is needed, there is a 5+ year *look back*. My in laws did this, (my mom in law pushed the issue of protecting the house) as my F I L was not quite on board, I guess he hated giving up being *owner* of his house, but at least the house was there
    for his sons to inherit. Our state did take their assets mom in law had a pension that they took, plus their SS checks (they got $50 monthly stipend) There were no savings to speak of, they were not savers which turned out for the better, I guess. They also prepaid funerals for themselves, they did that in their 60’s while they were still working. Just some suggestions.

24. Mary gold says:

BTW what about that big *whoop tee do* those politicians (in both parties) bragged about giving money to the VA ????? For the poor Vets who were dying waiting for appointments. How about some of that money for the ailing vets too??? But as usual nobody that’s a Vet get anything, just more money wasted while these Vets struggle.

25. Ann says:

I’m so sorry, Karen. You’re right – the system is failing us big time…. things must change. We have to scream at the top of our lungs until people start to understand because the problem is only going to get bigger.

26. Linda says:

Karen, you have emailed me before and I am going thru much of the same financial woes. I am paying for home care giver to come to the house while I am at work, and it is causing our middle class family financial stress. I do not even know how we will be able to pay for a memory care facility. It is more than I make a month. I am looking into some personal care homes though and I am finding that they are about 3000.00 a month. That seems less than memory care facilities which can run as much as 5-6 thousand a month. Families dealing with younger onset have so much anxiety to deal with. The financial monkey on my back can be almost as heavy as the weight of the horrible loss that I feel every day as I witness my husband struggling more and more. I so empathize with your stress and worry. My prayers and my thoughts are with you. May God Bless you and your family and answer your prayers. I will continue to pray for you all and ALL families dealing with Alzheimers.

27. dorie says:

My heart hurts for you! I know all to well what your dealing with. My hubby is 68 he is on Medicare but what a nightmare. I work 12 hour swing shifts in a factory and couldn’t get help. I’m 58 so can’t retire or quit my job! I finally had to place him in an Alzheimer’s unit . I couldn’t sleep work and keep him safe. Everywhere I tried to get help told me I make to much cuz I’m still working. Every year there is a pile of paper work to fill out for Medicare. The have to make sure I don’t have any money! The home takes all of his s.s. check and I’m still responsible for a few of his bills. I will be losing our home if something doesn’t change. I am thankful he is getting great care but the stress of dealing with his illness and the financial struggle is destroying my health. Praying something changes for all of us dealing with this disease.

28. Paula Wright says:

God bless you. I am a caregiver for people in their homes, many with some type of dementia., but none as young as your husband. Unfortunately you are right.
    There aren’t programs, or financial help
    available for people like your husband.
    If Alzheimers is such a growing problem
    there should be Alzheimer-specific programs and financial assistance. I admire you for what you are doing. I have dealt with this disease in my family, my Mom, but I can’t imagine how hard it is with a loved one so young and then the young children.. My prayers are with you and your family.

29. Bobbie says:

Hi, I know my sister is 57 told 7 years ago . I know I have spent 7 years researching for help. God helps the caregivers. I am very angry on the subject of very hard to fine help.

30. Sue says:

Same thing with my daughter. She is 22 and has autism. If anything happens to us she will be homeless. She gets SSI but to place her would cost 3600 a month. The rest of us would then be homeless but she’d be ok! Really if you work hard you are screwed in this country. I am a teacher and my husband works at the shipyard. We each work 40+ hours per week and we can barely survive!

31. Judy says:

Dear heart, I am hoping you will listen and do one thing, tell yourself you made it to today and you don’t know how it’s going to happen but you will make it through tomorrow. I have to tell myself that everyday. My husband is older, has dementia, to blocked carotid arteries, diabetes, high blood pressure, fear of stroking, an amputated leg above the knee. I took care of him for some years but when the amputation happens it is almost impossible for me to be a caregiver. And to get inside help I needed to people 24 hours a day and it would have cost me as much as a nursing home. I had to place him and I had to start the journey that you just took my nerves were shot and when I read what you wrote I really loved everything you said because they happen to me. I know you will know what I’m saying when I say if only I could have someone feel what my insides feel like if only I could have someone feel and here the record that goes around in my head saying over and over I don’t think I can do this. The sadness that never leaves when I think I will never have him back. He is becoming someone else and I feel so sorry for me. I only say this to you because I’m anonymous. In real life I try to be brave. I raised five children. But I am alone now. I come home to silence and here I can cry. But I say this not for you or anyone to think of me but to take what I say in real life and realize that I made it this far you made it that far, and we all will continue to make it. When I was overwhelmed by trying to fill out forms for Medicaid which I thank God for I didn’t think I could do it. I was a complete mess and when I got to the point I wanted to give up, God sent me an angel that was the manager of the little bank inside the center where my husband was housed. She took all my papers everything in new just what to do with them, who to fax them to all the details! I didn’t have to do anything she took care of it she took care of it all… And he was approved! When that happened I begin to breathe again. Because finances RR sustenance to life and with that taken care of I can’t find the words to tell you how humbled I was and how I thank God for providing me when I had given up! You made it this far and along with all the pain you’re dealing with there are little blessings that will come to you. Your handsome husband give you two of those little blessings… Let them be your joy. And you know what? When you were born God gave you a talent. A talent beyond your beautiful looks, your beautiful spirit, you’re wonderful compassionate heart, and another thing… He gave you the talent of being a beautiful writer. A writer that lets the reader feel what you’re saying and living what you’re living and weeping with you even though you don’t see them. I pray one day that you will cash in on this gift from God, and with all of these journals that you have written, will one day compile them into a book of love. With it you will not only bless many people as they enter what you are experiencing now but it will give you the healing process just like writing in this blog has allowed you to lay out your pains. Somehow I know your husband will be blessed by it, and for those two gifts your husband gave you….. you will show them in time as they look back on that writing just how strong their mother was and what a wonderful role model she played for them in their life. I hope we all can learn together to breathe slowly with confidence that we will still be here another tomorrow… And that we will allow a little smile to come back to our mouth, in we are able to realize that we were being taken care of when we didn’t know we were. You will stay in my thoughts and more important in my visits with God

32. Joni says:

My husband was diagnosed at 51 and we are only 2 years in….I am scared to death. Any suggestions?

Judy, you just said everything that all of us who have followed Karen have tried to say, and you said it so beautifully. Most of us “followers” are now….or have been going through the all the obstacles that Karen is going through. I pray every night for her family, as well as the many others like hers that are facing such sadness and tumoil, and I pray that our government will wake up and see the great need that isn’t being met. Thank you for your words to Karen. I know they must have touched her deeply.

34. Judy says:

Thank you Jeri….I agree we all KNOW the pain of this. I think there is a comfort in talking or reading the words such as Karen’s and all of your comments. We know we can’t stop this, we know we don’t have the answers because we are all in different situations, and different kinds of people. But it I remember hearing when I was a very young wife, and had a friend who was in great pain in a relationship, and she found a group in her church that dealt with the problem. It wasn’t a cure, but it was people with loving hearts that shared and listened to each member in the group…and they ministered to each other. From that, I always told people about this situation this way : ” Somewhere tonight, in some church, hospital, meeting room, there is a group of grieving parents who have lost a child. Each one is different, one may have lost a new baby to a birth defect…another could have lost a child to a car accident…or to a bad illness. All different circumstances …but all grieving for THEIR CHILD …..it doesn’t matter how the child died….it is the pain and loss for the parent or parents that don’t know what to do with it…and it is as comforting as a warm blanket and a hot chocolate on a rainy fall day….just to have someone who KNOWS that pain that is so strong right now, take your hand…and don’t even have to say anything…you just know by that special touch that they give you comfort. ” Karen needs that warm blanket now. She is going to do wonders as soon as she KNOWS she CAN. There is a reason for all of this…and I am trying to think that I was TRUSTED to help my husband this way. LIke we all are..and Karen has done a wonderful job. She is going to get her breath…when it is the right time to get it. We love you, Karen…. Thanks Jeri…and isn’t it something that we can “support” those that won’t work…but for those like Karen’s husband who served way beyond the normal tour…they just don’t deal with that !!!!! I wish we, all over this country could meet together and march on Washington to testify !!

35. Prudence says:

I would like to be part of that march on Washington, the Caretakers of the world must unite, other countries are starting to make AD a priority, many years ago the Jims of this world would have been sent to institutions, they were not great but there was no charge, there is a move on now by many Doctors to bring places like this back, but much safer and dignity preserved while watching over them, something has to be out there, something has to be done and soon, all of those that commented above I know you face what I do every day, the demons come out, threatening, ugly words, some are physically being hit, nice one minute then absolutely gone the next. What happened over the years to cause this disease to become an epidemic. God bless you Karen ?

36. There is a national law called “Lifespan Respite Program” that supports all family caregivers caring for anyone of all ages. Find out more about if and what your state is doing to support all family caregivers.

37. Don Wendorf says:

Karen, unfortunately, you are absolutely correct that our system does not provide enough help, especially financially. After 13 years of taking care of my wife with vascular dementia and disabilities, I was finally able to retire when I hit 65 and then got by on Social Security, including benefits for her (she didn’t qualify for Disability as she was one quarter short). We got assistance for several years after I asked our pastor for help and he organized a group of saintly women who sat with Susan while I worked, for FREE, until her physical needs became too great. I still can’t believe all the hours these kind ladies gave us just out of pure love. It was hard for me to ask for help but I did; I just never expected that much. My wife is now deceased but I am a big advocate for help for caregivers, especially focusing on emotional needs of caregivers, having been a psychotherapist for my career. So, I also hope you can get a whole mess of help for your emotions, as I knew better and still got burnout. Meanwhile, add me to the list of people who want more services, including financial, for caregivers and their caregivees.

38. Regina says:

Well Karen, I’ll keep it short and simple!

Lady,
    You must be inside my brain or sitting on a wall somewhere watching me SCREAM. The only problem is, I’m screaming on the inside.

I keep getting calls from our financial “advisor” guy. I’ve asked him so many times, why advise when I have no idea what the future holds for my husband or what the expenses will be.

I finally gave up and sent him to read your journey to hell and beyond. Sorry, that’s what it feels like to me. I haven’t heard a peep out of him. I haven’t heard a peep from him for the past 30 days. I do believe he finally gets “it”.

I’ve never commented on a blog in my life, but that I HAVE, I HAVE statement just wacked me. My eyeballs get whiplash from straining so hard to sit “still”, my back starts spasming as I just stand there and listen to another “suggestion” of healing foods, meds, services, VA stuff etc….how I need to take care of myself, relax….blah, blah, blah. There I wrote. it.
    Thinking about you and your precious ones.

Regia, as one of the MANY, MANY that have been or are in your shoes right now….believe me when I say “we understand”. One of the most frustrating things is how no one seems to “get it”……..family, doctors, friends and any and everyone else that hasn’t lived it. It is such a lonely existence. I lost my husband on June 9th to young onset alzheimers. He was 58 years old. And I pray every night for the people suffering the effects of this disease and for their families, and for our government to wake up and DO SOMETHING!!!!!! God Bless You!

40. Anne says:

You summed it up, Karen: we assume there will be help when catastrophic illness strikes only to learn there isn’t any. There is a significant increase in early onset Alzheimer’s that the government must address. God bless you, your children and Jim. You’re doing a great service by showing society what needs to be done.

41. Sue says:

I am so, so sorry for all that you’ve gone through. I have experienced the same frustration in caring for my aunt who has Alzheimer’s. Even being over 65 did not give her a lot of options. And the ones that exist are not easily affordable. We, as a society, need to do a better job taking care of those who need the assistance. It has been a long, exhausting journey for me and my heart aches for you knowing that you are doing this for your husband while caring for young children. God bless you.

42. Christine says:

I take care of my dad full time he lives with my husband and I , if 1 more person tells me Medicare or Medicaid will pay me hourly to take date of him I’m going to scream!!!

43. Christine says: